Armenia, Azerbaijan Accuse Each Other Of Breaking Latest Cease-Fire Within Minutes

Enlarge this image

Movsumov Qowkar, 32, checks his neighbor’s home damaged by shelling in the city of Terter early on Sunday.

Bulent Kilic/AFP via Getty Images


hide caption

toggle caption

Bulent Kilic/AFP via Getty Images


World
Nagorno-Karabakh: Turkey’s Support For Azerbaijan Challenges Russian Leverage

Fighting between the two nations has already caused significant damage in Nagorno-Karabakh, also known as the Republic of Artsakh.

The Republic of Artsakh’s human rights ombudsman blamed «Azerbaijani aggression» for damaging several thousand homes and hundreds of cars in the last few weeks.

The ombudsman reported that 36 civilians had been killed, and 115 people wounded, as of Oct. 16.

And citing Russian news agency Interfax, Reuters reported that the defense ministry of Nagorno-Karabakh announced 37 military deaths on Sunday, bringing its total to 710 since fighting erupted in late September.

According to Azerbaijani officials, an Oct. 16 missile attack by Armenia killed 13 people, including three minors, and wounded 52.

Azerbaijan’s president, Ilham Aliyev, said afterward that Armenia would be held accountable.

«Our revenge happens on the battlefield,» he tweeted.

A spokesperson for the secretary-general of the United Nations condemned the Oct. 16 attack, as well as «all attacks on populated areas impacted by the conflict,» in a statement issued Sunday.

The spokesperson said the secretary-general regrets that both sides have ignored repeated calls from the international community to stop fighting, and that both sides are obligated under international humanitarian law «to take constant care to spare and protect civilians and civilian infrastructure in the conduct of military operations.»

  • Nagorno-Karabakh
  • cease-fire
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan

admin

Добавить комментарий